Meta Keywords Tag
Tag: <meta name=”keywords”>
Syntax: <meta name=”keywords” content=”enter your keywords here in a comma-separated list“>
Meta tag is HTML code that is inserted into the header on a web page, after the title tag. The keyword meta tag is used to list the main keywords and keyword phrases for the page.
- This tag is largely depreciated in terms of Google SEO relevancy (due to widespread abuse of this tag) but still worth getting right for the other search engines.
- Keep the number of keywords below 10 or so.
- Do not repeat keywords more than twice.
- Make sure that your keywords appear in the main content of your page. Failure to do so could cause your page to be penalized for irrelevancy.
- Do an SE keyword analysis to make sure that your keywords are generating a large enough search volume with minimum competition from other sites.
As an example for a site about cameras called “Joe’s Cameras”:
[Unoptimized] <meta name=”keywords” content=” Joes camera store”>
[Optimized] <meta name=”keywords” content=”cameras, lenses for sale, photography accessories, camera retail, photography equipment”>