Basics of SEO
I had a few people who are new to seo contact me asking for a few basic seo tips. I understand that a new seo-er can sometimes feel overwhelmed by the amount of information you can find when first getting into seo. I mean, there are 500 page books on seo that start from basics and then pretty much cover all the aspects. Not surprisingly some guy don’t quite understand some of the methods i cover on my blog. I have decided to make this quick blog post to just go through a few basics. If you are already familiar with seo you might find this boring. I’m sorry.
Ok, so lets say you want to rank better for a particular keyword. For example seo. You will need:
- Stick your keyword in your sitename and use h1 html tags.
- Stick your keyword in your subheadings and use h2 tag.
- Stcik your keyword in the body of your site. Don’t go crazy. Just mention your keyword a few times in your blog posts for example. Just make it look normal to the eye.
- Use strong tags for your keywords. This will tell search engines that these keywords are important.
- It helps to have your keyword in your domain name.
- Name the images you use on your site accordingly and use alt text.
This is pretty much it. Now when you have your site all set up it is time to get some backlinks. This is the hardest and most important bit in seo. You need to have your keyword in the anchor text. You need backlinks from quality, related sites. If you are trying to optimise “seo” for example, get links from sites about seo. You should aslo mix and match your anchor text. If you are optimising “seo” you need to vary your anchor a bit. For example one link can be “seo blog“, another “seo stuff“, another “learn about seo” and so on. Your success depends on the amount and quality of backlinks you get. And remember, it is quality over quantity. Hopefully this will get you started. Now you can read more about different ways in which you can get backlinks here on my blog.